the next right step


I was confused,
scared,
and stressed.

And I remember someone gave me some really wise advice when I was in the throws of college applications/ auditions.

" Elissa, God doesn't call us to be obedient 5 steps ahead. He asks us to be obedient in the step directly ahead of us. 

So don't worry about 6-months out- worry about the step directly ahead of you." 

I cannot tell you how much comfort this gave me, as so often I find myself wondering if I'm doing the right thing.

I wonder how all these dreams are going to work out.
I wonder if it's my own selfish desire to pursue dance, or if it really is a God given passion.
I wonder if I'm making a big mistake.

But those questions, those worries?
I think the answers will come quite a few steps down the road.

So I have to consciously choose not to get caught up in the mind-trap of worry.
I have to remind myself to be prayerful in the next step, knowing that God goes ahead. 


And I encourage you to do the same.
pray about your dreams!
pray about your fears!
and seek to be obedient in the choice directly ahead. 

16 comments

  1. Wow. Yes! Just yes! This is pretty much what I’ve been going through with my writing, and I’ve had to tell myself "He'll tell you, just maybe not today." Awesome post, Elissa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I love that- "He'll tell you, just maybe not today." Yes!!
      Thanks so much for your comment Nicole!

      Delete
  2. It's like you spoke directly into my heart -- thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This past spring, when I was in a crazy stressful season, my director kept giving me the same advice- "Just do the next right thing." SUCH good advice. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. The mind trap of worry gets to me all the time. Worry about what you need to do now instead of six steps ahead is great advice. I am happy you shared that with us! (ASDFGHJKL this picture of you dancing is LOVELY.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I'm not the only one! And thanks, you're sweet <3

      Delete
  5. Such a great post!!!! I so needed to read this today!
    -Brooklyne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad- thanks so much for leaving a comment to tell me!

      Delete
  6. Wait, I literally had this same revelation last night, as I was trying to process all the decisions and confusion of life! And it was so comforting. Thanks for the added reassurance. xx

    And p.s - your new blog is awesome! I like the design and title and everything you've already shared. :) Keep shining, friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woah, that’s crazy!!

      And thanks so much sweet friend! I so appreciate that!

      Delete