coffee, truth and safe people


this week was emotionally overwhelming for no apparent reason.
nothing bad or weird happened.
the weather was nice.

but my heart was overwhelmed.
I was wanting one answer to the 17-open tabs in my head.
I was spinning through the same circle of confusion, guilt, and sadness.

So I texted a friend.
A dear, sweet, funny, real mentor.
I sat on her porch and we sipped coffee and ate avocado toast.

I don't really know what I said.
or where I started,
or if the words even fit together.

Yet she listened.
She let time pass before responding.
And she spoke truth.

She proved herself to be safe once again.


And I left not fixed,
but encouraged to seek truth in all the open tabs.
And it felt so, so good to share whatever silly story I told.


So now I sit here thinking about you.
I worry that you don't have safe people to share coffee and tears.
I remember we are not meant to process life alone.

So I encourage you:
find a person or two.
A dear, sweet, funny mentor.
Sip coffee and tell the stories of your heart.
And understand the truth: WE ARE NOT MEANT TO PROCESS LIFE ALONE

24 comments

  1. What a lovely reminder. I think sometimes we can isolate ourselves by thinking too much, so I find it encouraging that you found someone to share your thoughts with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great post and excellent reminder! I’m glad you’ve got a friend like that in your life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful reminder. I'm the worst about isolating myself, so I always need to hear this. I'm so glad that you have such an incredible person in your life! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grace Anne!
      And it’s a really easy thing to do, as finding community can be seriously hard

      Delete
  4. I really resonate with those first two lines- feeling overwhelmed or heavy for no apparent reason. I feel like the only thing worse than being sad is being sad when you "shouldn't" be. Avocado toast! Haha, I'm not a big fan of avocados, but for some reason I've been kind of getting into guac and avocado toast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I totally totally get that!
      And mmm, that sounds so good- I’m gonna have to try that!

      Delete
  5. It's so nice to have someone to confide in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an amazing post! Thank you for sharing!

    ~Ceci

    ReplyDelete
  7. such a beautiful post <3 i'm so glad you have someone like that in your life! it changes everything x
    still looking for my safehaven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sweet Sophy- it does!
      Praying that you find that safe place <3

      Delete
  8. So true!!!! But then, it's hard to always find a person or two to talk with. Life is hard and sometimes you can't find that person...but then that is a reminder to us to be those people in other's lives. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! I think one of the hardest things is reaching out, and hoping that they honor your trust.
      And yes, it goes both ways!

      Delete
  9. Thanks Elissa!! <3

    ellielissa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for the reminder that there are people who will always be there for you and that talking things out is important! ILY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taking things out is is important!! love you too!

      Delete